Whether you have partial, immediate, conventional, or implant-supported dentures, you need to give them care daily in order to maintain their shape so they can function efficiently. Here is a daily routine you should follow in order to ensure that your dentures (and mouth) are cared for properly:
- In the morning, remove your dentures from their soaking solution and rinse them well with water.
- Gently brush your tongue, palate, gums, and remaining teeth before placing the dentures in your mouth. Following this step keeps your mouth clean and stimulates the soft oral tissues.
- After you eat meals during the day, remove your dentures to clean them with water and rinse out your mouth. This helps to prevent the food and plaque buildup that causes bad breath and oral infections.
- At the end of the day, remove your dentures and clean them. There are denture brushes and cleansers specifically designed for this purpose. Avoid using household cleaners and toothpaste because they can actually ruin your dentures.
- Place the dentures in either water or a soaking solution overnight. This prevents the dentures from drying out, which can warp their shape.
- Brush you tongue, palate, gums, and remaining teeth before going to bed.
If you want more advice on how to care for your dentures, then call Dr. Dennis Coyle today.